Women’s March Rockford is hosting their annual event in support of women’s rights, on Saturday, January 23, 2021. Due to COVID safety concerns surrounding large, social gatherings, the traditional Women’s March is not taking place. However, there are several ways you can be involved.
Justice Ginsburg Discussion: Zoom, FB
January 23, from 11am: In honor of the late great Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a live ZOOM discussion is taking place. Judge Rosemary Collins is the keynote speaker. You can view Judge Collins’ presentation on the Women’s March Rockford Facebook page.
Open House Goal-Setting Session: In-Person, FB
January 23, from 10am to 2pm: Women’s March Rockford is hosting an ‘open house’ atmosphere surrounding the Centennial Sculpture, on the riverfront of the YMCA, 200 Y Blvd. (at the north end of North Madison Street). Women, and those who support them, are welcome to visit the sculpture and participate in the goal-setting activities. Women’s March Rockford will provide paper, markers, ribbons, and the structures to host the intentions of our community’s women. You may also bring your own March signs–favorites from years past or new, bold messages.
- Goal-setting is defined as a process of deciding what you want to achieve or what you want someone else to achieve over a period of time, in this case, women in 2021.
- Examples of goals/intentions/prayers/visions/mantras could be:
How will you advocate for women in 2021?
- I will work on a campaign for a woman I believe in!
- I will run for office!
- I will join Women’s March Rockford!
- What do you want women to accomplish in 2021 ?
- More women running for office, in Winnebago County, the State of Illinois, and nationally to create a much-needed balance of power, influence, and perspective
- The passing of fair wage legislation
- I will lead by example in my workplace
- I will be a bridgebuilder between women of different races, creeds, and political leanings
- Example: I am a teacher and I will increase the number of books written by women in my classroom and make it a point to showcase their work
- Example: I am a mother and I will speak to my son in the same way I speak to my daughter, making space for his feelings and concerns
- Example: I am a mother and I will speak to my daughter in the same way I speak to my son, making them feel strong and valued
- I will be committed to empathy, multicultural appreciation, and empowerment of all women in our community
Women’s March Rockford warmly welcomes you to join on January 23, 2021. For more information contact WMR organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org.