Board of Directors
Issue and Action committees are the basis of the League of Women Voters mission strategy. These committees follow and act upon legislation and issues affecting League positions. These positions can be found at the state League website, by accessing the guide, Where We Stand. New members or interested observers are welcome to attend the committee meetings.
Each LWVGR committee presents at least one League/public educational event each year. These general interest meetings held once a month and are open to the public.
- Education Committee follows developments in federal and state legislation as it affects students in Illinois and the Greater Rockford Area. The committee continues to research the impact of the state budget on schools, school voucher programs and the development of the new charter schools in Rockford. The committee is also represented on the Early Learning Council of Greater Rockford. While some members have a professional education background, a strong interest in schools is all that is required.Chair: Glenda Shaver. Meetings are the second Tuesday of the month, at 4:15 p.m., at Sarah Logemann’s Home, 216 Paris Avenue, Rockford, IL 61107.
- Environmental Issues Committee is raises awareness of importance of recycling, conserving energy and the natural resources preservation, including land, water, mineral, food and air. Chair: Shawn Choinard. Meetings are the fourth Tuesday of the month, at 1:00 p.m., at Katie’s Cup, 502 7th Street, Rockford, IL 61104.
- Immigration Committee researches legislation and enforcement concerning immigrant and refugee rights. Chair: Jo Minor. Meetings are the first Thursday of the month, at 5:30 p.m., at Meg’s on Alpine Road, 1141 Alpine Road, Rockford, IL 61108.
- Health Care Committee studies various health care delivery systems, keeps up with legislation, and advocates for affordable health care. The chairman is Elaine Pfluger who is also the Program Director of the AmeriCorps/Legacy Corps of Lutheran Services. She is also known for her work with Retired & Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP). Chair: Wanda Hoover and Lynn Liston. Meetings are the third Tuesday of the month, at 5:00 p.m., at Meg’s on Alpine Road, 1141 Alpine Road, Rockford, IL 61108.
- Local Government Committee is designed to inform and education the community on important issues that affect our community. Specifically, the Local Government Committee participates in candidate forums to help inform and educate the community on the candidates seeking elected offices. At various times the Local Government Committee has been asked to prepare studies on important issues in our area such as the Election Office Consolidation Study. Chair: Paula Lind. Meetings are the second Wednesday of the month, at 12:00 p.m., at Katie’s Cup,502 7th Street, Rockford, IL 61104.
- Membership Committee recruits and welcomes new members, answers questions concerning committee placement and keeps current and historical records. Chair: Diane Cushing. Meetings are the third Tuesday of the month, at 11:30 a.m., at Thai Hut, 1441 Sandy Hollow Road, Rockford, IL 61109 (west of 11th Street at Southgate Plaza).
- Voter Services Committee is concerned with voter registration and legislation on voter rights, voter suppression and district gerrymandering. Every spring committee members go to the local high schools and colleges to register students so that they can vote in the next election. In the fall Voter Services members and other deputy registrars man tables at public venues to register citizens. They also are available at new citizenship events to register new citizens. Voter Service also recruits Election Judges. Throughout the year members actively participate in events to inform citizens about candidates and other vital issues to the community. Chair: Susan Janson. Meetings are the first Thursday of the month, at 9:30 a.m., at Stockholm Inn at Rockford Plaza, 2420 Charles Street, Rockford, IL 61104.
A rowdy crowd at an Equal Rights Amendment Forum at the Rockford Women’s Club, late 2017.